The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has made it mandatory for anyone who does paid endorsements and advertisements on social media to acquire a license which comes with an annual fee of $4,100 per year!
Are you a blogger or a social media influencer? If you are living in UAE you will have to shell out $4100/year to advertise on Social Media. The National Media Council (NMC), UAE have given a deadline of May 31 to register and get a license. Once you obtain a license you can work with Brands and do endorsements on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube etc.
Dr. Rashid Al Nuaimi, Executive Director of Media Affairs has been quoted with an official release from the NMC saying “The National Media Council require licensing of individuals who have accounts on social media who conduct activities that are commercial in nature, such as advertisements that are done on a paid-for basis.”
He added “Accounts, blogs, and personal pages are not subject to these new regulations, including the accounts of influencers on social media, provided they are not commercial in nature. Individuals and organizations that voluntarily promote work are not affected by the Electronic Media Regulations.”
Mansour Al Mansouri, NMC Director-General said: “The regulations seek to help the UAE media sector remain on top of the rapid developments in electronic media, in addition to enriching and organising digital content, and ensuring that media material respects the religious, cultural and social values of the UAE, all the while promoting freedom of expression and constructive dialogue.”
How much will it cost to obtain the license?
- Websites & Social Accounts for circulation, sell, and display audio materials – 4,000 dirhams (approx $1,100)
- Websites & Social Accounts for circulation, sell, and display visual materials – 6,000 dirhams (approx $1,600)
- Websites & Social Accounts for electronic publishing and printing on demand activities – 3,500 dirhams (approx $950)
- Websites & Social Accounts for circulation, sell, and display read materials (books) – 1,000 dirhams (approx $270)
- Websites and social accounts specialized for online advertising Electronic – 15,000 dirhams (approx $4,100)
Would you Pay an Annual Fee if India Imposed a similar rule? Let us know in the comments below.